The Benefits of a Multi-Age Classroom
A Multi-age classroom offers several important benefits for your child:
- The teacher learns your child’s strengths and needs over an extended period of time and will be in a position to develop the best Personalized Approach to Learning for your child.
- Older students serve as mentors and role models while garnering leadership skills
- Younger students learn behavior and social skills from the older students
- The class as a whole learns cooperation, the benefit of supporting one another with the outcome of a creative learning environment and a sense of community in the classroom.
- The multi-age classroom is child-centered and offers continuous learning. Regardless of where a child falls on the learning continuum—younger or older, in need of special attention or gifted, a child will benefit from this approach.
As children move to the Academy Middle School program, multi-age continues in homeroom and many of the core and enrichment classes. Middle school students change classes for Math (placement by skill-level), Science, ELA, Social Studies, and Religion along with enrichment classes (STEAM/Music/Physical Education). This structure prepares students for their transition into high school.