OUT AND ABOUT:
- We have several important and fun family dates coming toward us.
- On we have a Meet Your Teacher Open House from for new and returning students and families.
- On there will be the annual School/Parish Family Cookout from Please RSVP at the Parish office at 762-3928.
- On we will have our Back-to-School Night Dinner and Social. This will be an important evening where you will hear about your child's curriculum and school day and then transition into a dinner and social event where we will set-up the committees to plan and carry out some of our great events we have each year. This evening is just for parents.
- Re: Station Rotation Period -What have our teachers been doing over summer vacation you wonder? Well this summer, our K-8 teachers are spending time in Professional Development learning about our new web platform, Edmentum, which we will use during our Station Rotation Period.
- Edmentum has two very different programs, Exact Path and Study Island. Exact Path is for ELA and math content and is adaptive to each individual student and aligned to CT. Learning Standards. Study Island contains a range of ELA, math, science, and social studies lessons and resources for teachers to enrich or reinforce learning and is also aligned to state learning standards. Teachers have been meeting individually with Stacy Clements, the Personalized Learning Coach, from the diocese, spending time in webinars, and will be attending Edmentum training at the Catholic Center on .
- We are planning an October evening event for students and parents to come in and experience these Edmentum programs with their child. More information to come.
- Important addition to our school supply list: we are asking each student in grades Kindergarten through 8th-grade to bring in a headphone or earbud to keep in school for use during the Station Rotation Period.
- Reminder for students who want to keep up with their math practice over the summer. Every year we provide parents with the opportunity to purchase online summer math workbooks to maintain their child's math skills. You choose the book from the grade your child just completed. The books are shipped directly to their homes and paid for by you, the parents. The books are available from Tri-C Publications, Inc. in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Their web address is www.summerskills.co
- NEW: Exciting school Enrichment news, this year we will offer a Chess Team for students in grades 3-8. Practice will be after-school on Wednesdays and we will compete in two U.S. Federation Chess Tournaments. We plan to travel to one tournament this fall, and host our own tournament in spring 2019. Thank you to Susan McCall for arranging.
- Exciting news from the Board of Education:
- First, we want to thank John Doyle for NINE YEARS of service on the Board and as Board President. John was always the calm and wise skipper when the waves got rocky. Thank you, John! John will continue his service to Fatima as Chair of the Facilities Committee. Please see John if you are interested in being a member of this committee.
- Next, we welcome Kevin Vallerie as the new Board President. Kevin is the proud parent of Brooke Vallerie in 4th-grade and is himself a graduate of Our Lady of Fatima School! Kevin is bringing a new model of BOE governance to our school and will be asking for volunteers shortly to help chair committees and serve on the board. As you consider Kevin's requests, please remember our school motto, "Service above Self."
- If you stop by the school, please pardon our appearance:
- We are in the midst of our deep cleaning of the building and all the classroom furniture has been moved out into the hall. We expect the cleaning to be completed by .
- We need your help. Our two playgrounds are in desperate need of weeding and care before we begin the new school year. This Saturday, August 11th, I would like to gather as many volunteers as possible to help weed the two playgrounds; we will work from Lemonade will be provided. Please bring your own tools for weeding and wear appropriate work clothes. My mother used to say, "Many hands make light work." All parent and student volunteers are welcomed.
- Then, , the Knights of Columbus will put down new mulch on both playgrounds. A special thank-you to Carmel Bowron for arranging.
- Good news for all the parents speaking positively about our school. The school board has voted to give a $500 tuition discount to any family that referred a new family that enrolls in our school. If you qualify, please make sure I am aware of the family you referred so we can make sure you are credited with the discount.
- Thanks to the gift from the graduating class of 2018 parents, we now have a beautiful statue of Our Lady appearing to the three children at Fatima. It is located in the back of the school next to the Peace Pole. Thank you, parents! It is a wonderful addition to the grounds of the school!
- Summer Vacation
- Staff Retreat and PD
- Meet Your Teacher Event for new and returning students and parents at
- First day of school for Kindergarten through 8th-grade students
- Labor Day - No School
- First day of school for Pre-K students
- First Friday Mass and Hospitality hosted by Grade 7
- Parish/School Cook-out in front of the school from 5-9. All are welcome.
- Open School Night Dinner and Social beginning at
- First Friday Mass and Hospitality hosted by Grade 4
- Columbus Day - No School
- end of the first quarter
First Friday Mass and Hospitality hosted by Student Government
- No school for teacher PD
- dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Veteran's Day - No School
- Thanksgiving - No School
- Dismissal for Christmas Break
- First Friday Mass and Hospitality hosted by Grade 6
- - Christmas Break
- First Friday Mass and Hospitality hosted by Grade 8
If you notice that things are starting to get done in the school office, it is because Diane Favier has returned from her well-deserved two-week vacation this past . When you see her, ask about her trip to the beautiful country of her ancestors: Ireland.