OUR LADY OF FATIMA CATHOLIC ACADEMY
November 15, 2019
"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision."
OUT AND ABOUT:
- We are wrapping up our second afternoon of productive parent-teacher conferences. If by chance you were not able to schedule a conference this week, please reach out to your child's teacher(s) to find a convenient time to meet. You are our most important partner in the education of your child.
- We had a wonderful Veteran's Day Assembly last Friday. Twenty-year navy veteran, Senior Chief Rashad Waller was a powerful speaker to our students telling about his years of service and military experiences. The veterans present were given a red rose as a thank you for their service. The following veterans were recognized: World War II Navy Veteran, Lieutenant Robert H. Jones (Abby's Grandfather), Navy veteran Tom Campbell (Taylor's uncle), Michael Sloditskie - 27 years still active Coast Guard Veteran (Taylor's father), and Jim Dawson retired Colonel U.S. Army (Emelia's grandfather). A special thanks to Mrs. Fleming for providing the singing of the military anthems during the assembly. Also a big "Shout-out" to Amy Crane and Michael Sloditskie. Amy and Michael prepared a PowerPoint presentation on Veteran's Day and the five service branches, organized the ceremony, and arranged for the roses and refreshments to make for such a great assembly. Thank you, Amy, and Michael!
- Cross-country finished a very successful season! Special recognition goes out to 5th-grader Matei who was unbeaten in the fifth/sixth division and finished #1 in the championship! Other students who placed during the year include Aiden, Luke,
Taylor, Carter, Fabrizio, Sofia, Crina, and Madison. Congratulations to all the 24 runners and coaches!
- The Something Special Store has opened its doors. We ask the following grades to cover these next two months: grades 6&7 and grades 2&3 have November, and grades 4&5 and Pre-K have December. The store is closed during holiday weekends around Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can pick your day and time to sign-up at:
- Last Friday we had a successful OLF Saints Walkathon which raised over $8,700 for our school and local food banks.
Due to the unseasonably cold weather, we first walked around the field and then went into the gym for a total of 45 minutes. The winning class with the highest per-pupil amount raised is our combined 6/7 class with an average raised of $116 per child! They will get an ice cream party the week of December 16 and preferential seating at our winter concert! Thank you to everyone who helped raise the money and made this a successful walk.
- New fundraising initiative: we are going to be selling Dress Down coupons to our students for days before the holidays and for St. Patrick's Day. The Dress Down coupons days for sale are on Nov. 27, December 20, February 12th, March 17, and April 8th. The cost is $40 for the block of five days or $10 for each individual day. Please see Mrs. Favier in the office to make your purchase.
- We have had some very interesting and productive "Coffee with the Principal" the past few weeks. I have been interested in hearing your feedback on the multi-age classrooms and other important school topics. Thank you so much to each parent who took the time to attend. I plan to repeat this process in the spring.
- On Tuesday, November 19, Lifetouch will be here for Photo retakes. If you are unhappy with your child's photo or if your child was ill on picture day, please have them dressed appropriately.
- The next meeting of the Academy Parent Association is this coming Wednesday, November 20th at 7:00 p.m. This is another important way that your voice can be heard and you can help our school.
- Due to a health issue for Mrs. Weimer, the Book Fair scheduled for the first week of December is canceled. This means the next Book Fair will be the spring Book Fair.
- Question of the day: are you keeping track of your 20 service hour commitment? Forms can be found outside of Diane's office.
- Reminder: I do want all regular morning drop-offs and afternoon pick-ups to take place through the back door. This is both a safety consideration and courtesy consideration since we do not have adequate parking in front of the school for all parents in the morning. This leaves the front door with its limited parking for just emergencies and unusual situations. Thank you to everyone for your cooperation.
"Shout Out I"
Kathleen Rooney. A mother of a 6th -grader reported that she was checking in with her son on how his day went. When she got to religion class, his eyes lit up and he said, "Religion is amazing. I love it so much. Mrs. Rooney is an amazing teacher." He went on to explain to his mother that he liked the different skits and plays and that they "helped him learn." Mrs. Rooney IS an amazing person, teaching religion to our 6th, 7th, and 8th graders; running the Parish's religion Ed program after school on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sundays: and always bringing a quiet dignity to everything that she does. Thank you, Mrs. Rooney!
"Shout Out II"
Amber Pace, Diane Robinson, and Joanne Salageanu. We just completed another very successful cross-country season with 24 students participating. These great coaches run practices, schedule meets, motivate their runners, and arrange transportation. In addition, for a small school our runners swept the awards with nine different runners being recognized and our school had the most awards from all the different schools in the league. Way to go, Amber, Diane and Joanne!
November 15 - 11:30 Dismissal for Parent-Teacher Conferences
November 16 - International Family Night Dinner
November 19 - Lifetouch here for Photo retakes
November 27 - 11:30 dismissal and no after-school program
November 28/29 - Thanksgiving Break
December 2 - December 19 - Christmas Ornament Sale
December 2 - 19 - Collecting for Malta House
December 2 - 19 8th-grade candy gram Sale
December 8th - Grades 4/5 selling bake goods at the 9:00 Mass
December 9 - No school - Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 11 - 8th-grade to Broadway Play
Pre-K through first-grade to Rudolph
December 10 - BOE meeting
December 13 - Christmas Show
December 14 - Family Christmas Party
December 17 - Youth Group caroling at Brookdale Senior Living
December 19 - Staff Christmas Luncheon
December 20 - 11:30 dismissal and no after school program
December 23 - January 1 - Christmas Holidays
January 6 - 17 -Midterm exams for middle school students
January 14 - Sodality Animal Encounter activity
January 17 - End of the second semester
January 20 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No school
January 23 - February 10 Tyler Ugolyn Basketball Tournament
January 26 - February 1 - Catholic Schools Week
February 13/14/17 Winter Break
February 21 - Restaurant Night
March 9 - 27th - Iowa testing period
March 14 - St. Patrick's Day Dinner*
March 13 - Youth Group Stations of the Cross
March 17 - St. Patrick's Day - Green bagel sale for 8th-grade class
March 27 - Last day of winter uniforms
March 27 - End of the third semester
March 28 - Youth Group Stations of the Cross
March 30 - First day of spring/fall uniforms
This Saturday night is a special night at Fatima and one of my favorite school events. It is International Family Night where parents cook recipes from their country of origin. The food is great and the sense of community is even better! Please plan on joining us between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. The cost is $15 per person or $25 per family.